Contagion is a zombie apocalypse game with human survivors. Ammunition and weapons are scarce so teamwork is the key to survival. There are 3 game modes available that change the objectives but when a human player is killed they respawn as a zombie.
Contagion Dedicated Server can be run as a Windows Service using FireDaemon Pro. FireDaemon Pro will allow you to have Contagion Dedicated Server start automatically at boot prior to login, allow you to start multiple instances of Contagion Dedicated Server and restart Contagion Dedicated Server should it crash. This guide will show you how set it up. You can also use FireDaemon Fusionto manage FireDaemon and other Windows services via your web browser.
Contagion Dedicated Server Setup Under FireDaemon Pro
You can only install the server files if you own a copy of the game. The easy way to install them is via Steam's SteamPipe servers, but the caveat to this is that the Steam account must have Contagion owned on it. We suggest that you do not use your local client version of Steam as it will be logged out when you install/update the server files and you risk having your Steam account hijacked/stolen should your server ever be hacked (since the hackers could then get access to your steam account).
- To make your new steam account for your server, go here. If you want to use your existing Steam account that already has Contagion, then skip to step 3.
- Purchase Contagion from here and gift it to the server account you just created
- Download and extract SteamCMD. The download is small (< 2 MB).
- Download the Contagion server files via the Steam SteamPipe servers:
First before you can download the files, go to the directory where you installed SteamCMD and create a shortcut to "SteamCMD.exe". In the shortcut, edit the properties and in the target box, at the end of it (with a space before the following), put:
+login USERNAME PASSWORD +force_install_dir "C:\Contagion" +app_update 238430 validate +quit
Note: Replace USERNAME with your Steam username and PASSWORD with your Steam password. You will need to enter a verification string if your steam account has SteamGuard enabled. The verification string will be sent to the email you set up as your steam account email. This string only needs to be filled in once.
It might take a while to download everything because there are over 6.11 GB of files. You should also run the shortcut every month or so to grab the latest server updates (stop your server first though).
- The server files do not include any server configs. Download this ZIP file and extract the cfg folder containing the configuration files to the directory
- Download[/URL] and install FireDaemon Pro into the directory of your choice (typically C:\Program Files\FireDaemon). You can download the FireDaemon service definition XML file which makes initial setup of your FireDaemon service easier.
- Next start the FireDaemon GUI from the desktop shortcut. Click on the
"Create a new service definition" button in the toolbar (or type Ctrl+N)
and enter the information into the fields as you see below. Obviously
adjust paths to suite your installation.
The most important field on the tab is the Parameters. The Parameters define the initial setup of your server.
-console -game contagion -secure +map ce_barlowesquare +log on +ip 184.108.40.206 -port 27015 +exec server.cfg +rcon_password YOURPASS
- "-console" enables text base server display. The server can only be automatically restarted in text based mode
- "-game contagion" loads the game
- "-secure" enables VAC protection of your server (valve anti cheat). You can remove this command if you do not want to use VAC
- +map loads a specified map on server startup. You can change "ce_barlowesquare" to whatever map you want. This command should never be removed.
- "+log on" displays the output of information on the screen. You can turn optionally it off (+log off), but keeping it on makes it easier to debug any errors you might encounter.
- "+ip" should be the IP of your computer (not 127.0.0.1, go here to get your IP). This command should never be removed
- "-port 27015" This is the default server port. Changing it is generally used when you host multiple servers (as each server has to use its own port when using the same IP). This command should never be removed.
- "+exec server.cfg" This simply executes your server.cfg file on server startup. If you run multiple servers from the same installation, you can specify other config files (eg. server1.cfg)
- "+rcon_password YOURPASS" This sets your rcon password in the command line. It is crucial that you set it here and not in your server.cfg file because exploits exist that allow malicious players to download your server.cfg file and get your rcon password to wreak all kinds of havoc. Replace "YOURPASS" with a hard to guess password (preferably a mix of letters, numbers and symbols).
- Additional information about the command line parameters can be found here.
- Now click on the Settings tab. If you DON'T want to see Contagion Dedicated Server running, uncheck the Interact with Desktop check box. You can optionally Contagion Dedicated Server as the user you installed it as. In the Logon Account field type your username (eg. Administrator) and then enter the user's password twice in the Password and Confirm fields. You can change the Process Priority to allocate more CPU time to the dedicated server or specify which cores the dedicated server will run on.
- Now click on the Lifecycle tab. Uncheck Graceful Shutdown
- Now click on the Dependencies tab. Make sure the service depends on the
lanmanworkstation (Workstation) service to ensure the TCP/IP and CIFS
stacks are both up prior to starting Contagion Dedicated Server
- Now click on the Install button to install and start Contagion Dedicated
Server! If you are running Windows Vista or later your server will
start on Session 0. You will need to switch desktop to see your server running.
- Below is an example Contagion Dedicated Service server.cfg file
// Hostname for server. hostname "Contagion Server"
//Server password (Uncomment To Use) //sv_password PASSWD
// Set to lock per-frame time elapse host_framerate 0
// Set the pause state of the server setpause 0
// Control where the client gets content from // 0 = anywhere, 1 = anywhere listed in white list, 2 = steam official content only sv_pure 2
// Is the server pausable
// Type of server 0=internet 1=lan sv_lan 0
// The region of the world to report this server in. // -1 is the world, 0 is USA east coast, 1 is USA west coast // 2 south america, 3 europe, 4 asia, 5 australia, 6 middle east, 7 africa sv_region 0
sv_rcon_banpenalty 60 sv_rcon_maxfailures 10 sv_rcon_minfailures 5 sv_rcon_minfailuretime 45
// bandwidth rates/settings net_maxfilesize 64 sv_minrate 0 sv_maxrate 0
// Log Settings //
// Enables logging to file, console, and udp < on | off >. log on
// Log server information to only one file. sv_log_onefile 0
// Log server information in the log file. sv_logfile 1
// Log server bans in the server logs. sv_logbans 1
// Echo log information to the console. sv_logecho 1
// Client CVARS //
// Restricts spectator modes for dead players //mp_forcecamera 0
// Disables Server-Side Cheats sv_cheats 0
// Enable Voice Communications sv_voiceenable 1
// Players can hear all other players, no team restrictions 0=off 1=on sv_alltalk 0
// Execute Banned Users exec banned_user.cfg exec banned_ip.cfg